Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Airplanes and Airports

I remember when I used to think that getting on airplanes was so cool and worldly. Now, I just think it's sort of tiring. That's not to say that there isn't something extremely comforting for me about being in airports and getting on airplanes. I've done it so often, and I have my own routine now, that it feels almost like "coming home" in some way. Mentally and emotionally, it's just sort of comfortable. But physically, since I usually fly for like 10 hours at a time, it's just sort of tiring.

Anyway, this post is not actually an exploration of my routine at airports or in airplanes. Instead, this post is about my three can't leave home without it pieces of plastic (nothing naughty please...) - something that I thought of as I was going through immigration the other day in Hong Kong. Which brings me to...

Plastic #1: Hong Kong International Airport Frequent Visitor Card
I applied for this little ID in 2010. All it takes is 3 entries through the airport in a 12 month period. The benefit? Bypassing that annoying line at immigration, that - during peak periods - can stretch for miles and take an hour to get through, even with that famous HK efficiency. I love being able to watch everyone running past me to get into line, while I take my time, indulge in a bathroom break, and then casually stroll to the front of the line. I'm an ass, I know. But I still love it.

Getting out of the airport is one thing, being stuck in one waiting for your flight is another. I remember the days of sitting on those annoyingly uncomfortable gate chairs, with devilishly positioned arm-rests that prevented anyone from being able to sleep well. Since 2006 though, I've been able to avoid all of that at basically every airport I've flown from because of

Plastic #2: Diner's Club Card
To get lounge access at airports, you usually either have to fly a LOT or pay a LOT. I fly a lot, but not a LOT, and we all know I'm always against paying a LOT - so being able to score a Diner's Club card through a Citibank loophole has been one of the best things that I've ever managed to finagle. They don't have lounges in ALL airports, but they have lounges in most, and while they're not all of very good quality, they are generally better than kickin' it at the gate. There's usually food, drinks, and internet. In Hong Kong, I get cable and magazines and even a shower - or I can opt for a 15 minute chair massage. Really, what more could one ask for? Now, I'm often sad when I get to the airport too late to make use of my lounges!!

Finally, the third piece of plastic is also a credit card, but one that's great for another reason.

Plastic #3: Capital One Credit Card
Most people don't realize how much money they get screwed out of when they're abroad. Whether it's forex commissions, shitty exchange rates, or credit card fees, traveling out of the country is almost always an exercise in subsidizing all sorts of banks. Which is why I love my Capital One Visa. It gives me great exchange rates, it's of course accepted almost everywhere, and best of all, it charges my 0% on foreign transactions. Most cards charge somewhere between 2-3% on every transaction (which adds up really quickly.) But Capital One, bless them for this!, charges nothing, and even eats the MC or Visa charge themselves. It means that I'm almost never worried about having enough money when I get somewhere or about getting screwed and messing up my travel budget. Plus, they even offer rewards on my charges. Can you beat that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment